Before being topped with bread crumbs and cooked
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 2 chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 carrots
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice, cooked OR 3/4 cup Quinoa (cooked in 1 1/2cups liquid)
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning , plus more for seasoning
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh Cilantro
- 2 TBSP fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 TBSP + 1/2 Cup grated Colby Jack Cheese
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut out the stem of the pepper and cut in half. Scoop the seeds and veins out from the inside of each pepper and discard. Add to boiling pot of water for 5 minutes. Set bell pepper in baking dish and lightly cover with salt and pepper, set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook chicken cubes until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, celery and carrots. Saute for 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the rice and 1/2 cup cheese, mix well. Season with salt, pepper and Essence. Cook for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the Cilantro. Spoon the rice mixture into the bell peppers.
- In a small bowl, melt butter and add bread crumbs and 2 TBSP Cheese . Season with a pinch of Essence and mix well. Sprinkle the crust over each pepper. Add just enough water to cover the bottom of baking dish, about 1/3 cup. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are crusty and brown and warmed through. Serve hot.