- 1 cup warm water (around 110-115 degrees F)
- 1 package (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 1 TBSP molasses
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- In a mixing bowl add water, molasses and yeast. Let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Once yeast has risen add in salt and flours,mix well. In an electric mixer, using your dough paddle, mix for about 5 minutes. Or you can turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it until smooth.
- Place dough in a bowl lightly coated in olive oil (to prevent sticking). Cover with a damp towel and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Knead dough for a few minutes and divide into 6 pieces*. Roll into balls and on a floured surface flatten them out until they are about 1/8 inch thick. Cover with plastic wrap and let them rise another 30 minutes.
- Place a piece of stoneware** in the oven for a few minutes. Once the stoneware is hot remove it from the oven and dough to the stone. Bake in the oven for about 6 minutes***.
- Let the pita bread cool down for a minute, while still warm put in a gallon size ziplock bag. This will steam the pita bread keeping them soft.
- Enjoy with sandwich ingredients, as a pizza**** or with dips.
* When making my pita bread I weigh out each section of dough into 2 oz serving sizes. This way I know my kids are getting their serving size of grain and each piece will be exactly the same weight. Easiest way to do this is to use a digital scale. Love always having one on hand!
** If you don't have stoneware you can always use a metal baking sheet. Stoneware works best for even cooking.
*** If you plan on making these for pizza or dips I would recommend sitting by the oven and as they start to balloon up poke them with a fork. This will give them less of a pocket type of pita.
**** My kids love homemade lunchable pizzas. It's a healthier way to give them just what they want. Below is an easy way to make pizza lunchables.
- 1- 2oz pita bread
- 2 TBSP spaghetti sauce
- 6 pieces of pepperoni OR any other topping
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.