- 4 thick cut bacon strips, cut into bits
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (8 ounce) clam juice
- 3 teaspoons (or 3 cubes) chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups fat free half and half, divided
- 3 cans (6.5 ounce each) chopped clams, undrained
- In a large pot, Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain and set aside.
- Saute celery and onion in bacon drippings until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15-20 minutes, uncovered, or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl combine flour and 1 cup of half and half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until soup starts to thicken.
- Stir in clams, bacon and 1 cup half and half. Heat through but do not boil. This should only take a couple minutes.
- Serve with oyster crackers and enjoy.
Serves: 5-6 servings