- 1/4 cup quinoa, soaked for 1 hour before cooking
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
- 2 TBSP BBQ sauce, Plus some for topping
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBSP Ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil and add quinoa. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the chicken stock has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
- Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions,garlic, ketchup, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire, egg, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be moist.
- Take half the meat mix and shape into a loaf pan. Place shredded cheese all over top of meat. Take second half of meat mix and put it on top of shredded cheese. You should have layers now. meat, cheese, meat. press down on all the sides of the meat so it seals in the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 30-35 minutes. Temperature should read 160 degrees F when finished cooking. 10 minutes before done cooking, add BBQ sauce to the top and extra shredded cheese if desired.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy.